Hello, my name is Marie J.Engelsvold.
I'am a visual artist, based in Copenhagen, Denmark. I'am expressing myself through drawings, sculptures and art-projects. Eventhough my true calling was to be a visual artist, I was first educated Graphic Designer in Visual Communication in 1997. Ever since I graduated, I was eager to find ways to express myself, to find my own authentic voice. Actually I had to go through a long un-learning period. To be confronted with all the psycological aspects of creating. To deal with doubt, fear and uncertainty, and learn how to fly beyond them. Gradually I found my own visual signature that ressonates with my inner space, and is now proudly living as an artist.
In this blog I want to share my experiences with my own creative process. How to stay present and intuned with your feelings, and inner space.? How to start living with daily self-expression.? How to be able to express your uniqueness? How to express your feelings, letting them out on paper, and in that way releasing them?.
To express yourself is a way to accept yourself. I think we all have an urge to create something, but it can be difficult to set aside the time and space necesary. Sometimes we are afraid of others opinions. Or we might have a lot of expectations about the result, which are blocking us from ever getting started.
"It is Art because it is alive. It proves that, if you and I are to create at all, we must create with today and let all the Art schools and Medicis in the universe go hang themselves with yesterday’s rope. It teaches us that we have made a profound error in trying to learn Art, since whatever Art stands for is whatever cannot be learned. Indeed, the Artist is no other than he who unlearns what he has learned, in order to know himself; and the agony of the Artist, far from being the result of the world’s failure to discover and appreciate him, arises from his own personal struggle to discover, to appreciate and finally to express himself."
I have named the blog "Drawings from within", because it will be focused on the drawing process. For me drawing was the portal to find my own visual language. Now I also makes a lot of sculptures, and art projects. But it all started with the paper, where I found my own visual language, and what it's all about for me.
I think everybody have the possibility to start creating by drawing, you don't need a lot of materials, and space. It's easy, just to take a paper and get started. Nevertheless there will be setbacks. When you start to draw from within it can be extra scaring, because there isen't a "correct" way to do it. You must learn to listen to your own guidance. You are the only one who knows what is the right way for you. I will help you to stay committed, overcome psycological blocks, and share all what I know about the creative process.
Turtorials and tips
- Feb 13, 2018 How do you work with composition?
- Jan 8, 2018 Make a kickstart.
- Nov 20, 2017 Go bigger.
- Nov 8, 2017 What is your drawings all about?
- Oct 31, 2017 Wait!! Before you throw that drawing in the bin!!!!!
- Oct 24, 2017 Get 5 free tutorials, to help you in your drawing process
- Oct 12, 2017 Find inspiration everywhere.
- Oct 12, 2017 Experiment with shapes and lines.
- Oct 12, 2017 Want to find your own visual language ?
drawings from within
- Sep 6, 2017 Why I 'am writing this blog.
- Feb 10, 2019 Why are we so hard on ourselves?
- Feb 1, 2019 It's okay to say NO.
- Jan 2, 2019 Let yourself shine in 2019 :-)
- Nov 22, 2018 Look at your obstacles as adventures.
- Feb 2, 2018 How to stay in the process?
- Dec 20, 2017 Slow down
- Dec 12, 2017 There is no "right" way.
- Dec 5, 2017 Why it's important to unlearn.
- Oct 12, 2017 Let your feelings be your guide.
- Sep 5, 2017 Don't be afraid of change:-)
- Sep 5, 2017 Express your feelings
- Sep 5, 2017 Can drawing be a kind of meditation?